River Front Bar-B-Q & Two Scoops – Albany, Georgia
Albany, Georgia, has an exciting riverfront that’s the result of rebuilding after the 1998 flooding of the Flint River.
It’s the perfect spot to situate an eating place like River Front Bar-B-Q, which has both indoor and outdoor seating.
From what I could see, everyone agreed, as there always seemed to be people in line ordering!
Several things made this dining spot quirky to me, with the key one being the cinnamon butter sauce for the sweet potato fries.
Of course sweet potatoes are common in the south—pretty rare in Saskatchewan when I visited, although now we have ’em too—but I’ve never had them served this way before or since at home.
The sugary taste was so good I saved a few pieces for dessert!
Information About Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes are root vegetables
- Sweet potatoes, while often called yams in North America, aren’t yams at all–yams are native to Africa and Asia, while sweet potatoes are Central or South American. Yams and Sweet Potatoes belong to different families botanically
- Sweet potatoes are now grown around the world in tropical and warmer temperate climates that have sufficient water
- In the U.S. sweet potatoes are important crops in North Carolina, California, Louisiana, and Mississippi
- Alabama celebrates sweet potatoes every year at the Sweet Tater Festival in Crane Hill
- Nutritionally speaking, sweet potatoes are low in sodium and very low in saturated fat and cholesterol (before they’re cooked). They’re a good source of dietary fiber, vitamins B6, A, and C, along with manganese and potassium. Read More at: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2667/2#ixzz2TNc5eopq
- Sweet potatoes can be served in many ways! Try these top 10: http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/top-10-ways-to-enjoy-sweet-potatoes
As you might expect, River Front Bar-B-Q also gets lots of praise on both its pulled pork (which I had) and ribs.
Their barbeque sauce isn’t a one-taste fits all either, but has a number of options: Georgia Sweet Hickory, Carolina Mustard, Carolina Vinegar and one I’d never dare, a spicy, hot Carolina Mustard.
This YouTube video takes you right into the River Front Bar-B-Q restaurant!
Even though I’d savored the sweet taste of the fries, I still couldn’t resist having a wild berry gelato at nearby Two Scoops, the first gelato store in southwest Georgia to make and serve this authentic product.
Some fine Brazilian iced coffee was the final touch I needed to make this a perfect lunch stop.
Visit the River Front Bar BQ
- 105 W Broad Ave, Albany, GA 31701, United States
- Menu: http://www.urbanspoon.com/cities/78-albany/restaurants/1536464-riverfront-bar-bq/menu
- Try out the nearby Two Scoops Gelato for dessert! http://www.twoscoopsgelato.com/welcome.htm
- Visit Albany, Georgia – http://visitalbanyga.com/