For those of you who don’t know, Canberra is Australia’s capital city. This could be one of the best travel destinations for you this year. Canberra’s got a bit of everything for everyone, so you can see why it makes such an incredible destination.
Not only does Canberra have multiple art centers, museums, and galleries, but it also entails numerous markets, food services, and malls. For those of you passionate about exploring new places and trying out new foods (but also tasting art and music on the way), this should be your go-to.
Top 6 Best Museums in Canberra
The diverse cultural environment in Canberra is breathtaking. Their history and identity plus creative attire can be easily noticed in art. Here are the most important art sites to visit while you’re passing through this amazing city.
1. The National Gallery of Australia
You’ve got to pay a visit to the National Gallery if you’re visiting Canberra. Here, you can see the famous works of artist Yayoi Kusama or the beautiful yet classic Van Gogh pieces. Take a stroll down the Aboriginal art collection and travel back in time! Check out the $14m Ouroboros sculpture – the Gallery’s most expensive commission so far.
2. The National Portrait Gallery
If you love Australia and its people, this is the place for you. Here, you can learn more about Australian history and its culture. You can study all there is to know about Australian music, politics, entertainment, or royalty even.
3. The Australian War Memorial
If you’re in Canberra, you cannot miss the Australian War Memorial. The sad but true stories of army officials and soldiers are described through art here. Don’t forget to check out the Roll of Honor on which thousands of names are inscribed as a tribute to those who died in the war.
4. Canberra Museum and Gallery
Again, this is the place you’re checking out because you’re excited about Australian culture and its overall history. You can see Sidney Nolan’s works here or visit those galleries which open whenever you’re visiting. They’re changing exhibitions constantly, which is nothing but a perk for visitors.
If you’re visiting the Parliament, what better way to end the day than by checking out the Questacon? This mini-world of technology and science is absolutely stunning. If you’re a curious fellow, always excited to learn, this is your go-to.
6. Check out the Street Art
This is not an “official museum,” but it’s definitely worth seeing. Street art is everywhere in Canberra, so don’t leave until you check it out. It embodies Australia’s culture and history as well, so it cannot be missed.
More Things to Do in Canberra
There are many reasons why you should visit Canberra. Here are some of the coolest and most exciting ones. Let’s check them out together and see if they fit your expectations.
- You could visit their natural reserve which is called Tidbinbilla. It’s got amazing views and wildlife. You can also visit the Gibraltar peak while you’re at it since it’s the main sightseeing attraction in the area. Amazing!
- National museums and galleries shouldn’t be missed either. We’ll discuss more about this below, where you can check out the top six best museums in Canberra.
- The Australian National Botanic Gardens should be on your priority list. You can book an informative talk or guided walk if you’re up to it. Plus, they’ve even got a spa and a café here, so you can relax after you’re done sightseeing.
- If you’re an adventurous one, check out Canberra’s Riddle Room. This escape room experience will help you boost your problem-solving abilities and get the best out of this city. If puzzles thrill you, then this is your go-to. Skydiving is another great idea if you’re an adventure seeker – what better way to end your stay than seeing the whole city from above?
- Camping is another great option, especially if you’re more on the traveling side of the party. As a tourist, you can still check out some glamping options.
- You could also have fun by racing cars in Canberra or eating out and experimenting with the local cuisine. The food is absolutely marvelous, I’m telling you!
Visiting Canberra is a great opportunity to check out cool museums and taste yummy food. If you’re looking to get some adrenaline in, try skydiving or check out one of their escape rooms. Whatever you do, one thing is for sure – you’ll never get bored in Canberra, so book your flight now and start packing! Have fun, will you?
About the Author
More Things to See and Do in Australia
If you enjoyed this article, please pin it to share later.